01 July 2012

Testing Continental Grand Prix 4000S Tires

Grand Prix 4000s with SRAM S30AL rim and Boardman SLR 9.8 frame. Not as beautiful colour match as Yellow Schwalbe Lugano, but I can sacrifice that for ride comfort.

I change my bicycle tires from Schwalbe Lugano to this new Continental Grand Prix 4000S (700x23C) Clincher.
Lugano is an entry-level tire. I have chosen that primary for the yellow colour that matches the frame's inner fork and downtube colour. When I cycled for 115km last Sunday, I was not happy with the harsh ride that gave me numbness in my feet/soles. Riding the rougher surface road (old Bentong road) from Simpang Fraser's Hill to Simpang Lee Rubeer was terrible.

Early tests show a very promising feel. Don't know whether it was a placebo effect or not, because  I had only tested the new Conti tires for only 35km. Pumped at 110psi as recommended for casual/training,  I can feel the different, more supple, smooth, faster rolling compared to Lugano at 100psi. I will try it for a longer distance and on a more rugged road later. Maybe I can try this 155km route this weekend, Raub-Benta-Kerambit (via Tanjung Besor -Jerantut road)-Kuala Lipis-Benta-Raub. Only then I will know the real performance. (stay tune!)


No comments: